WHICH TYPE OF DROP EARRING IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
One of the main reasons why drop earrings are so popular in the UK is that they are so versatile. Based on data from Google, drop earrings are one of the most popular earrings styles in the UK. Only hoop earrings, stud earrings and huggie earrings are more sought after.
It’s easy to understand why everyone loves them: Drop earrings can complement an elegant understated dress, be worn to the office, or accentuate your style for special occasions. They are also easy to wear and can match different hairstyles and outfits. If you are not sure which drop earring style is right for you but want to give them a try, then read on. We will provide you with an all-encompassing guide on how to wear drop earrings, considering the shape of your face, your hairstyle, your outfit and the occasion.
What are drop earrings?
Drop earrings are a type of earring that hangs down below the earlobe. They come in various styles and lengths, from small and delicate to long and dramatic. Drop earrings can be made from a variety of materials, at CARAT* LONDON we have a wide range of yellow gold, gold vermeil and sterling silver drop earrings.
What are popular drop earring styles?
There are various types of earrings that can be classified as drop earrings.
These earrings feature a single or multiple decorative element that dangles from the base of the earring. They can be simple or elaborate, depending on the design. As the names indicate, dangle and drop earrings are quite similar. The main difference between the two styles being that dangle earrings allow for a swinging movement. So they often consist of multiple elements. Drop earrings on the other hand are more static. They are designed to stay in place and only move along as you move your head. Our Gala Ear Cuff, which technically is a silver ear cuff could thus also be classified as a dangle earring.
Gala Ear Cuff
These earrings feature a tiered design, with multiple decorative elements hanging from the base of the earring. while chandeliers fan out a bit more from the base in a diamond-like or half circle shape. Chandeliers often fan out more from the base and have a more circular shape. They are often ornate and perfect for formal events. Take a look at our Sade Marquise Drop Chandelier Earrings. Classic marquise earrings.
Sade Marquise Drop Chandelier Earrings
These earrings have a thin chain or thread that goes through the earlobe and hangs down, creating a delicate and elegant look. Our brand new Bee Pear Borderset Drop Earrings fall into this category.
Bee Pear Borderset Drop Earrings
Statement Drop Earrings
Statement drop earrings are eye-catching pieces. They are noticeable due to their size and style. In contrast to chandelier drop earrings, they are not typically round-shaped. Our Cassidy Earrings in Sterling Silver are extra chic statement drop earrings. They feature bezel-set emerald cuts that sway with every movement.
Cassidy Earrings in Sterling Silver
Stud Drop Earrings
As the name indicates, these are drop earrings that showcase one sparkling gemstone. Take a look at our Athena Baguette Round Drops in White Gold. They feature step-cut baguettes and precision-cut round brilliant stones that brilliantly catch the light from all angles. Read this blog post if you wonder what baguette diamonds are (and how to wear them). Also, check out this page if you are looking to buy stud earrings for women.
Athena Baguette Round Drops in White Gold
Choosing the right drop earring style
Now that you have a good understanding of the different types of drop earrings, it’s time to select the right style for you. There are a few factors to consider: the shape of your face, your hairstyle and length, plus your outfit and the occasion are things to consider to create a cohesive look.
Different face shapes can benefit from different styles of drop earrings. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
- Oval faces: Almost any style of drop earring will complement an oval face shape. So in this case, your hairstyle and outfit would be more important factors to consider.
- Round faces: Long and angular drop earrings can help elongate a round face shape. So, if you attend a formal event consider statement drop earrings, or a simple dangle earring for everyday wear.
- Square faces: Drop earrings with rounded edges can soften the angles of a square face shape. Our Gala Drop Earrings are a great fit for square-shaped faces.
- Elongated faces: If you have a more elongated face shape, go for drop earrings that are wider than they are long. This will help balance out your features. Consider the Palma earrings. They feature a beautifully polished palm leaf accented with a pear-cut stud in rich emerald green.
The length of your hair can also affect the style of drop earrings that will fit you best.
- Short hair: Small and delicate drop earrings can complement short hair without overwhelming the look.
- Shoulder-long hair: Long and angular drop earrings help create a more expressive, statement look if you have shoulder long hair.
- Long hair: Longer drop earrings can complement long hair. If you have long hair with loose waves or curls, drop earrings are ideal because they can frame your face nicely. If you prefer smaller drop earrings but have long hair, consider putting your hair up.
Besides the length of your hair, how you style also matters. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
- Updo: Longer drop earrings can create a stunning statement look with an updo.
- Down hairstyle: Shorter and more delicate drop earrings can complement a down hairstyle without overwhelming the look.
- Bun: If you have a high, tight bun, opt for shorter drop earrings that won't compete with your hairstyle.
When choosing drop earrings the outfit you wear also matters. For casual outfits, small and delicate drop earrings are a good choice. They will complement your dress rather than overpowering it. If you are attending a more formal event, such as a wedding, a dinner party or an important company event you can opt for longer, more elaborate statement piece drop earrings to add extra glamour. For office attire we suggest simple and professional looking drop earrings, such as our Briar Drop Earrings. Simple white gold drop earrings featuring our exquisitely cut and polished round brilliant stones set on secure euro-back drops.
Drop earrings are a versatile and fashionable accessory that can complement any outfit. They go well with formal dresses, or everyday casual wear. Keep in mind that the above suggestions are general guidelines and not golden rules. Experiment a bit until you have found the perfect match to go with your hairstyle, hair length and outfit! Once you have chosen the perfect drop earrings, also make sure to wear them right. Be sure to position them in the middle of your earlobe, so they don't droop or pull on your earlobes. This way they will be comfortable to wear and it will help create a balanced look. If you liked this post, also check out our guide on selecting the best size diamond stud earrings for everyday wear, 3 reasons why you should consider lab diamonds and our complete intro to popular diamonds cuts.